*Please take into consideration that one diet does not fit all! These are general guidelines for those trying to follow the paleo diet. Always eat what makes you feel good!*
The paleo diet, sometimes called the caveman diet or hunter gatherer diet, is meant to mimic the eating style of our ancestors in the paleo-lithic era. Presumably the diet would consist mainly of food that was hunted and/or gathered which would be different depending on geographic location and season. Most often we assume that these diets consisted of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, meat, fish and seafood. The paleo lifestyle has gained a lot of popularity as it eliminates things like processed foods, oils and sugars and in general is considered an anti-inflammatory diet.
The more modern paleo diet has many exceptions to the rules and you can often find paleo baked goods using flours like almond flour, coconut flour or cassava flour and many of your favourite dishes adapted to fit the paleo lifestyle (hello cauliflower rice!).
Top Paleo Recipes
Thai Coconut Cauliflower Soup (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)
Sometimes I like to veer away from the classic squash soup in the winter- even if it is a great way to get in your
Salted Almond Butter Coconut Whip
Are you ready for the easiest and tastiest whip ever?? Totally refined sugar and dairy free, vegan and paleo compliant. Need I say more? Let
Thai Chicken Collard Wraps (Whole30, Paleo)
So this right here is some serious trickery. Collard wraps. You wrap your vegetables with another vegetable. I see you collard wraps. I see what
The paleo diet is a whole foods based diet that focuses on:
- A diet high in fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry, fish, nuts and seeds.
- Eliminates wheat, grains (think rice, quinoa, amaranth etc) and legumes (think chickpeas, or any beans) as well as processed foods, oils and sugars.
Foods to eat on the paleo diet (ideally organic if possible):
- Vegetables and fruit
- Meat and poultry
- Fish and seafood
- Nuts and Seeds
- High quality oils such as organic virgin coconut oil or cold pressed organic olive oil.
- Herbs and spices (use these liberally as they just make food taste better in general!)
Foods to avoid on the paleo diet:
- Grains (including gluten free and pseudo grains like quinoa)
- Dairy (some paleo diets might include grass-fed butter or ghee)
- Processed foods and drinks (no more soda and boxed mac and cheese!)
- Sugar, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners. (Generally things like monk fruit, honey and maple syrup are all ok in the paleo diet in moderation!)
The biggest thing to note is that one diet does not fit everyone. It is important to be flexible and there are exceptions to every rule. Some versions of paleo say to eat quinoa while others don’t. Some say to eat white potatoes while others don’t. Do what works for you and makes you FEEL GOOD.