Leek and Sweet Potato Soup (Paleo, Vegan option)
An easy, creamy winter soup with leeks, sweet potatoes and coconut milk. Paleo and vegan friendly.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: paleo, vegan, whole30
2 tbsp ghee (or avocado oil for vegan version)
2 onions, chopped,
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 bay leaves
2 tsp dried thyme
4 cups broth of choice
1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
pepper to taste
1 cup coconut full fat coconut milk
- Trim the tough bottom off the leeks and the greens at the top. Slice the leeks in half lengthwise and wash well. The layers of leeks sometimes have some hidden dirt.
- Chop the leeks.
- In a large heavy bottomed pot heat the 2 tbsp of ghee or avocado oil.
- Add the chopped leeks, onions, celery and garlic and saute until the leeks and onions start to get soft.
- Add the sweet potato, broth, salt, bay leaves and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and cover and let simmer for 25 minutes (or until the sweet potatoes are fork tender.)
- Take about 1/3 of the soup and ladle into your vented blender. Blend and pour back into the soup. *
- Stir the coconut milk in and adjust with more salt and pepper.
- Garnish with hemp seeds.
*Alternatively you can leave it as is and just add the coconut milk or blend the whole entire soup.
Keywords: Soup, leeks, sweet potato, paleo, whole30, vegan