Orange Cardamom Caramel (with coconut sugar and ghee)
This is a tangy orange version of caramel sauce that is delicious on vanilla ice cream.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 25 minutes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup coconut sugar
3 tbsp ghee
1/4 cup coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch sea salt
- In a small pot whisk the orange juice and coconut sugar over medium/low heat.
- Once the sugar has dissolved lower the heat and let it simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ghee and coconut milk in while whisking.
- Continue to heat until it starts to thicken.
- After it has thickened (about 15 min) take it off the heat and add in the vanilla, cardamom and sea salt.
- The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Serve on your favourite vanilla ice cream!
I used ghee in this recipe but you could try regular unsalted butter or coconut oil for a vegan version. Let me know how it goes!