Thumbprint Cookies (paleo, vegan)
An easy raspberry chia jam filled cookie that is paleo and vegan! Perfect for the holidays!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 39 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan
For the jam:
3/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
2 1/2 tsp chia seeds
For the Cookies:
2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup runny almond butter*
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips or your favourite chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a small pot whisk together all of the ingredients for the chia jam except the chia seeds over medium heat.
- Stir and mash with a fork frequently until the mixture has no lumps. Once it starts to bubble take it off the heat and whisk in the chia seeds. Set it aside to cool while you make the cookies.
- In a medium bowl whisk the almond flour, cinnamon and sea salt together.
- In a small bowl stir the runny almond butter, maple syrup and almond extract together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Measure 1 1/2 tbsp of dough and roll into balls. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using your thumb, press and indent in the centre of each cookie.
- Fill each indent with the raspberry chia jam.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Let the cookies cool completely before you try to move them or they will fall apart.
- In a small pot melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Drizzle over the cookies and allow the chocolate to set before serving.
*the consistency of the almond butter is important. I usually use the Costco almond butter that is pretty drippy.
**This recipe was inspired by the wonderful Tahini Cookies from My New Roots.
Keywords: Paleo, vegan, cookies, thumbprint, almond butter, gluten free