Have you ever had a cookie that tastes like an almond butter and jam sandwich? Because this cookie is just that.
This is a paleo and vegan thumbprint cookie made with almond butter and raspberry chia jam and it is deee-lish-ous.
They are doughy (if you have come for a crunchy cookie move along please) and not too sweet. Filled with a tart raspberry jam and drizzled with just the right amount of chocolate and I cannot stop eating them. *quietly sneaks into the kitchen for another cookie, or six*
And guess what? They are perfect for your holiday cookie swap or as a gift! Let’s give them a go!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see the Sweet Lizzy Disclosure for more information.
These cookies are quick and easy to make. They are sweetened with maple syrup but are not overly sweet. You could add a tablespoon or two more to the dough if needed but I like them the way they are. You can even sub in your own favourite jam instead of making this chia jam if you are in a time crunch but I like using this raspberry chia jam because it is low in sugar and it’s more tart than sweet which goes nicely with the doughy cookie base and the sweet chocolate drizzle.
The dough itself should be fairy easy to work with but it does require an almond butter with a runnier consistency. I usually use the Costco brand almond butter as I love the consistency of that one. If anyone knows of an organic brand that has a similar consistency I would love to hear it! I think that you could also sub tahini or a runnier peanut butter if you wanted but I would probably skip the almond extract if I did that. If your dough is too dry you can add a tbsp of maple syrup or a little water.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Try these:
Orange Cardamom Cookies with Chocolate (paleo, vegan)
Chai Chocolate Chip Cookies (paleo)
Tried the recipe? loved it? Rate it and tag #sweetlizzy on Instagram!Print
Thumbprint Cookies (paleo, vegan)
An easy raspberry chia jam filled cookie that is paleo and vegan! Perfect for the holidays!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes
- Total Time: 39 minutes
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegan
For the jam:
3/4 cup frozen raspberries
1/2 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
2 1/2 tsp chia seeds
For the Cookies:
2 cups almond flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup runny almond butter*
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips or your favourite chocolate, chopped
1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- In a small pot whisk together all of the ingredients for the chia jam except the chia seeds over medium heat.
- Stir and mash with a fork frequently until the mixture has no lumps. Once it starts to bubble take it off the heat and whisk in the chia seeds. Set it aside to cool while you make the cookies.
- In a medium bowl whisk the almond flour, cinnamon and sea salt together.
- In a small bowl stir the runny almond butter, maple syrup and almond extract together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Measure 1 1/2 tbsp of dough and roll into balls. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Using your thumb, press and indent in the centre of each cookie.
- Fill each indent with the raspberry chia jam.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes.
- IMPORTANT: Let the cookies cool completely before you try to move them or they will fall apart.
- In a small pot melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Drizzle over the cookies and allow the chocolate to set before serving.
*the consistency of the almond butter is important. I usually use the Costco almond butter that is pretty drippy.
Keywords: Paleo, vegan, cookies, thumbprint, almond butter, gluten free