It’s frigid outside right now. F-R-I-G-I-D.
I don’t dislike winter, I swear, but right about now I could use a good dose of vitamin D and some sunshine. And since I’m not planning any trips down south a big hearty stew will have to do. Creamy, flavourful and whole30 friendly this kale and chicken stew with almond butter is THE BEST to help you warm up while the temperature continues to dip.
Are you ready to give it a go?
This post contains affiliate links. Please see the Sweet Lizzy Disclosure for more information.
If you are looking for a paleo, whole30 and incredibly warming stew this January this is YOUR moment. It’s hearty. It’s creamy. It’s filling. It’s for YOU.
The base of this soup includes the unlikely combination of:
- coconut milk
- almond butter (yes almond butter in soup!)
It makes for a velvety and creamy stew. And because it is the winter and I never feel like I get enough greens this time of year, I added a large dose of kale. Pro tip: add the kale after everything else is already cooked and just let it wilt in so as to not overcook it. Lightly steamed is what we are going for!
Like so many of my soups, this stew has a good dose if fresh cilantro and ginger. It adds another layer of flavour but if you don’t like cilantro (how can we be friends?!) then by all means, leave it out. Chilli powder brings a little heat and a squeeze of lime juice balances it out.
That’s all for now interweb friends. Wishing you a great start to your week with lots of warming foods!
Looking for more soups and stews? Try these:
Thai Coconut Cauliflower Soup (paleo, vegan, whole30)
Tomato and Coconut Soup with Sweet Potato Noodles (paleo, vegan, whole30)
Chipotle Vegetable Soup (Vegan, paleo, whole30)
Tried the recipe? loved it? Rate it and tag #sweetlizzy on Instagram!Print
Kale and Chicken Almond Butter Stew (whole30, paleo)
A warming stew with almond butter, coconut milk, sweet potatoes and kale. Paleo and whole30 friendly.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: paleo, whole30
1 tbsp ghee
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
1 tsp salt plus more to taste
1 onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 400mL full fat coconut milk
1 28oz diced tomatoes
1 sweet potato, chopped
1/2 cup almond butter
3 cups broth of choice
1-2 tbsp lime juice
1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- Melt the ghee in a large pot over medium heat.
- Brown the chicken thighs in the ghee and set aside on a plate.
- Add the onion and salt and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ground coriander, ginger and chili powder. Saute for another 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk, tomatoes and sweet potato to the pot and stir.
- Whisk the almond butter with the broth and add it to the pot.
- Add the chicken back in and bring it to a boil.
- Cover the pot, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it and pull the chicken apart with 2 forks. Add it back to the soup.
- Add the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the kale and cilantro and cover the soup for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with fresh cilantro.
Keywords: paleo, whole30, stew, kale, chicken, almond butter