Spring? Are you there? oh wait, no, it can’t be you. It’s snowing. AGAIN.
Nevertheless, I refuse to let snow stand in the way of me and spring. SPRING VIBES all around with this Lemon and Herb Soup. Made with sweet potato, sausage, rice and loads of fresh herbs you can’t help but feel spring in the air. This soup also makes the perfect transition from those snowy cold, by the fireplace days to the warmer, sunshiny, want to spend all of my time outdoors in my garden days. It’s warming and grounding and yet still light and somehow refreshing.
Are you ready to give it a go?
Fresh herbs can really brighten up any dish. Need a little extra something? Throw in some parsley or fresh mint! It never fails. But this whole soup is dedicated to fresh herbs and a light, zingy, lemon-y flavour which takes it up a notch. I combined parsley, cilantro and fresh dill in the soup and topped each bowl with a couple of mint leaves. Perfection!
Some notes about this soup:
- I used a brown and wild rice blend but I think that a basmati or straight wild rice would work
- This recipe calls for one cooked sausage. I used a mild Italian. Make sure the sausage is good quality because if you don’t like the type of sausage it could ruin the whole soup.
- This soup will transport you directly away from the snow to warmer weather. please make it.
The wonderful medley of spices (turmeric, cumin and cardamom) in this soup give it a delicious depth of flavour and the beautiful bold colour comes from the turmeric. When combined with the lemon juice it makes for a sunshiny bowl of goodness.
Looking for more soup recipes? Try these:
Spring Lemon and Herb Soup (gluten free, dairy free)
A spring soup that is packed with fresh herbs and a light lemon flavour.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
1 tbsp ghee or avocado oil
1 onion, diced
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cardamom
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup cooked rice (I used a brown and wild rice combo)
1 cooked sausage, halved and thinly sliced (I used a mild Italian)
1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro
1/2 cup packed chopped parsley
1/2 cup packed chopped dill
1/2 cup packed torn kale
zest of half a lemon
fresh mint for serving
- In a large heavy bottomed pot heat your ghee or oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and saute until softened.
- Add the garlic, salt and spices and cook, stirring for another minute.
- Add the carrot, celery and sweet potato and stir to coat them with the spices.
- Add the broth and lemon juice and cover and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
- Add the cooked rice and sausage and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Take the soup off of the heat and stir in the kale and all of the fresh herbs along with the lemon zest.
- Serve with fresh mint.
Keywords: soup, gluten free, lemon, herb