Sweet Potato Casserole. Vegan, Paleo and just oh so comforting.
When I think of the holidays I think of food. Granted, I’m always thinking of food but you get the idea. The holidays= warm, comforting, traditional foods that are most likely not optimal for health.
I want you to know that we can do better though. I mean, I get it, it’s so easy to get addicted to the processed, sugary, comfort foods but we can still make food that tastes delicious and doesn’t leave us feeling sick.
So this recipe is me trying to do better. This holiday season (or any day for that matter) try this vegan sweet potato casserole. It is comforting, dense, filling and super rich- it feels very indulgent and good for your soul.
The only kitchen tool that I really recommend for this is a mandoline. If you want to cut the sweet potatoes by hand (more power to you!) then go for it, but a mandoline makes it easy and fast. Other than that, if you have a batch of cashew cheese already prepped this recipe is simple to make.
Let me know if you tried the recipe. Rate it and tag your photos #sweetlizzy on Instagram! Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. Please see the Sweet Lizzy Disclosure for more information.Print
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE (Vegan & Paleo)
This vegan, paleo comfort food makes a great addition to your next holiday meal.
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
coconut oil for greasing the pan
830–1000 grams of sweet potato (about 3 medium)
1/2 white onion
1 tbsp chopped, fresh rosemary
1 recipe cashew cream cheese
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried sage
1–2 tbsp tapioca flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C)
- Oil a 10 inch cast iron pan that can go in the oven *
- Using a mandoline slice your sweet potatoes into thin rounds.
- Slice the onion thinly using the mandoline or a knife, whichever you are more comfortable with.
- Place a layer of sweet potato round on the bottom of the pan being sure to not leave any holes.
- Scoop four to five tablespoons of cashew cream cheese on the sweet potatoes and spread around evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle on some of the rosemary and some of the onions (you will be spreading these evenly throughout the four layers)
- Layer on another round of sweet potatoes, being sure to leave no holes.
- Add another layer of cream cheese, onions and rosemary.
- Repeat your layers until you run out of sweet potatoes. I find four to five layers is a good amount.
- In a blender add the canned coconut milk, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and dried sage and a little bit of black pepper. Blend until incorporated.
- Add a one tablespoon of tapioca flour to thicken the mixture up a bit. Add another If it is still too runny**
- Pour the mixture over your sweet potatoes
- Bake for 40 minutes, checking on it and rotating halfway through.
- Slice and serve!
*you can use a casserole dish as well but may not get as many layers.
**It doesn’t have to be too thick as it will cook down.